A historic motor sport event's returning to Banbury - after drawing in big crowds earlier this year.
In February thousands gathered in Market Place and along Bridge Street to see the Rallye Monte Carlo Historique return to the town for the first time in 50 years.
Last week Cherwell District Council began preparations for when the event returns once again on Thursday, 31 January 2019.
Cllr Tony Ilott, Cherwell’s lead member for financial management and governance, said: “So many jobs and lives in Cherwell rely on the automotive and motorsport sector.
“Companies of all sizes exploit our strategic position in the UK and the rally once again finds Banbury the most desirable location to stop and share a bit of the excitement that follows it around.”
Douglas Anderson, coordinator of the UK leg of the rally, said: “The crowds lining the streets: the knowledgeable enthusiasts peering under bonnets and asking questions, the great show put on by the district council and the warm welcome from the town council, it was not a difficult decision to return to Banbury in 2019.”
The UK leg of the rally starts in Clydebank, Dumbartonshire at 6pm on Wednesday, 30 January 2019 ahead of the 1,500 mile rally to Monaco.
Cars taking part are set to start arriving in Banbury from late morning on Thursday, 31 January.
The stop will be a chance for the veteran vehicles to be serviced by Bicester’s Blue Diamond Riley Services and for the drivers and navigators to take a rest and eat.
Once again the day will begin with a display of classic and notable cars from major motorsport firms, local companies, classic car clubs and private owners.
The event will coincide with Banbury Charter Market which will include additional food stalls to help keep out the cold and sustain the crowds.
Details of necessary road closures will be published in due course.